A fishtail braid, to the inexperienced braider, looks like a complicated operation. But don’t be scared. This sophisticated look can be all yours. And you don’t even have to pay or beg someone to do it for you. You can make a fishtail braid on yourself, by yourself. Even better, you can have the look in under ten steps, and the first step’s easy.
- Make a ponytail, and tie it up with a band. Most kindergartners can handle this step! You’ll want the pony tail to be placed where you want the braid to begin.
- Divide the ponytail into two sections with a balanced amount of hair in each.
- From underneath the right section of these two sections, take a small piece of hair. You should now be holding three sections.
- Pull this smaller piece over the right section, from which it came, and towards the middle, between the left and right section.
- Join the smaller piece to the left section. You are now holding the left section, with the smaller piece in it in one hand, and the right section in the other. Now, pull apart tightly.
- Now do the same on the other side, starting with a small piece from the underside of the left section.
- Alternate sides like this down the length of your ponytail. Be sure to comb through the sections with your fingers before weaving them into the braid.
- Continue this alternation, finger combing, weaving and of course, pulling tight all the way, until you reach the bottom of the braid.
- Tie a band around the end of your beautiful, new fishtail braid.
So, there you have it. A simple take on a glamourous braid. You can wear your fishtail braid sleek like a star or loosen up by loosening it up, spreading out the weaves with your fingers. It’s up to you. After all, you’re the stylist now!